Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is an Indian government scheme that provides LPG connections to BPL households. The scheme was introduced on May 1st, 2016 in Ballia, Uttar Pradesh (UP).
Furthermore, the main objective of the Ujjwala Yojana was to provide 8 crore LPG connections to deprived households. The government specifically covers migrant families.
What is Ujjwala Yojana?
After launching this scheme, 22 million LPG connections were provided to the BPL families however the target was 15 million connections. In addition, in 2017, 30 million connections were distributed, 44% of which were distributed among various sects and tribes.
Due to this scheme, the government has noticed a clear difference in cleaner cooking fuel according to the National Family Health Surveys. The survey tells that the BPL families are availing of hygienic LPG for cooking which also leads to improved health conditions.
History of Ujjwala Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was launched in India by prime minister Narendra Modi. The scheme was introduced on May 1st, 2016 aiming to provide 50 million LPG connections to BPL women.
In addition, this great initiative was taken to provide better LPG connections to deprived households. Initially, the government of India allocated 80 billion of budget for the scheme. The authorities tried their best to provide this service competently.
This scheme highly promoted the LPG benefit among the 14.6 million below-poverty line families. Furthermore, the government also distributed 8.8 million in West Bengal, 8.5 million in Bihar, and 7.1 million in Madhya Pradesh.
To apply for the Ujjwala Yojana scheme the government has set some criteria. The applicant should be eligible for it before he applies for the scheme.
Here are some of the points regarding the eligibility criteria.
- Only women above 18 years can apply
- The applicant should be a rural inhabitant and must hold the BPL card
- Have a saving account in the national bank (for subsidy amount purposes)
- She should not have an LPG connection already
Objectives of Ujjwala Yojana
- To provide LPG connections to the deprived families
- Promoting women empowerment
- Improving health conditions and stopping respiratory illnesses
- Eradicating the use of coal and wood for cooking
- Hygienic cooking conditions
- Convenience for women
- Clean air and environment
- Promoting safer ways to cook food
Documents Required to Apply for Ujjwala Yojana
To apply for the pradhan Mantri Ujjwala yojana one must have the following documents:
- BPL Card/certificate
- Ration card
- Voter id/Aadhaar Card
- Passport Size Photographs
- Passport Copy
- Driving License
- House Registration Papers
- Utility bill
- LIC policy
- Lease Agreement
- Bank Statement
- Self-declaration attested by a Gazetted Officer
How to Apply for PM Ujjwala Yojana Scheme? Online Method – Ujjwala Yojana Online Registration
- Visit the official portal of PM Ujjwala Yojana
- On the homepage, head to the “Download form” button and click it
- Print out the application form
- Fill out the form and provide all the correct information
- Submit the form along with the required documentation to the LPG center
How to Apply for PM Ujjwala Yojana Scheme? Offline Method
- The applicant has to visit the LPG center near her
- Take the application form from the representative and fill it out
- You have to mention the type of cylinder as well such as 14.2 KG or 5KG
- Then apply the documents
- The authorities will issue the connection subsidy amount
How to Check Ujjwala Yojana Status?
- First of all, visit the official website of the Ujjwala yojana status
- On the homepage click on “Download form”
- Then select “BPL New List” from the given options
- The website will open an application on the page
- Fill out the form with the correct information and submit it
Benefits of Ujjawala Yojana
It is the Indian government scheme introduced by the PM to provide LPG connections to women belonging to BPL families.
Following are the Ujjwala Yojana Benefits:
- The number of deaths due to respiratory illnesses has reduced
- Clean environment
- Air pollution prevention
- Women empowerment
- Hygienic cooking
- Cash of 1600/- will be given to the beneficiaries
- Security deposit for a cylinder
- Security deposit for pressure regulator
- Installation charges payable to the LPG distributor
The Ujjwala Yojana scheme is one of the great initiatives of the Pradhan Mantri to facilitate the BPL families with the LPG connection. This service is provided all across the country to eligible families. Furthermore, with this scheme, the government can put an end to air pollution. The deprived households have now hygienic cooking fuel which has also led to better health conditions.