PM Awas Yojana scheme was launched on June 25th, 2015. This scheme was started with a strong mission of providing houses to eligible families.
The PM Awas yojana provides home loans to those who are eligible for it. The beneficiary of the scheme can avail of a loan up to 2.67 lakh.
Furthermore, the government of India launched this scheme to promote the affordability of houses. The main objective of the PM Awas yojana is to provide home loans to needy families in India.
Today the scheme covers 4,331 towns and states in India where people can avail of this scheme. In addition to it, this scheme also includes urban development authority, notified planning, development area, and other developments under the responsible authorities.
What is PM Awas Yojana?
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is the scheme that provides loans for building homes. This loan is provided to eligible families. Furthermore, the government started this scheme with the aim to achieve “Housing for all” by March 21st, 2022.
The reason behind appointing the year 2022 is because it is the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. With that said, the Indian government successfully built 20 million houses throughout the country.
History of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana scheme was introduced by the Indian government. This scheme was launched under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
Initially, the scheme was enabled from 2013 to 2014. The purpose of the government was to make India a place where every person has shelter.
Since having a house is the basic necessity of a family therefore the government and the responsible authorities decided to make India slum-free. Additionally, the PM Awas yojana works for the public to promote house building for poor people.
For this yojana, the government parted 32,230 crores during the five-year plan. Thus, the authorities successfully provided one million beneficiaries with their homes.
The site for the construction was selected by the government while focusing on the tourist visiting areas, and religious places of the state.
Key Features of PM Awas Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is one of the thoughtful schemes by the Indian government. The government provides home loans to eliminate the slum areas from the state and promote better living places for the beneficiaries.
Here are some of the key features of PM Awas yojana:
- It provides a 6.5% of interest rate
- Scheme funding of 5 crores
- Easy repayment process of 30 years
- Online access to the customer portal
- Quick loan disbursement within 48 hours after verification
- Hassle-free loan processing
- No foreclosure or prepayment charges
Who is Eligible For PM Awas Yojana? Eligibility Criteria
There are some conditions to avail of the PM Awas Yojana scheme. It follows proper eligibility criteria. Here are the terms for becoming an eligible beneficiary to avail of the scheme:
|The group as per Income||Annual Income|
|Max Permitted loan amount (INR)|
|Economically weaker section (EWS)||Up to 3 lakh||6 lakh|
|Light income group (LIG)||Up to 3-6 lakh||6 lakh|
|Medium income group (MIG 1)||Up to 6-12 lakh||9 lakh|
|Medium income group (MIG 2)||Up to 12-18 lakh||12 lakh|
- The applicant should fall under one of the above income criteria to apply
- The candidate or any of his family members must not own a pucca house anywhere in the country
- He must not have availed of subsidy under the CLSS scheme
- The applicant must have a female co-owner from his family
- He must follow the carpet area criteria provided by the authorities
How to Apply for PMAY (PM Awas Yojana) Scheme?
Here is the step-by-step procedure to apply online for the PMAY scheme:
- After knowing the category under which you lie for applying you can apply
- Visit the official website of PMAY
- From the main menu, select “Citizen assessment” from the applicant category
- The website will redirect you to a page where you will enter your Aadhaar details
- Then, fill out the PMAY application. Note that your information must be correct such as your current address, bank account details, etc
- Last but not least, verify the captcha code and click the submit button
How to check your name in the PM Awas Yojana List?
The PMAY scheme makes a list of eligible candidates who can further continue with the loan application process. Therefore, after applying for the scheme you will receive an application number. You can also check by name if you are eligible or not.
Here are the steps to follow to check your name in the list:
- Visit the official website of PMAY
- From the tabs on the website select “search beneficiary”
- From the drop-down menu, select “search by name”
- Enter your name in the given field and click the submit button
- The website will display the list
Benefits of PM Awas Yojana
PMAY scheme gives all the important benefits to the beneficiaries to build their home. The scheme is not all about providing loans but it also gives an easy repayment process too.
Here is the list of benefits PMAY provides:
- The interest rate of PMAY is 6.5% on the housing loan
- The interest rate varies depending on the income category he falls under
- Senior citizens are preferred for availing of this government service
- Houses are built as per the commands of the government such as eco-friendly and sustainable technologies
- Hassle-free loan service
- The repayment tenure is up to 20-30 years
Terms and Conditions of Awas Yojana
Apart from the eligibility criteria, the government has also some terms and conditions of the AWAS yojana:
- The applicant’s all loan accounts must have been linked with his aadhar card
- Submitting a declaration regarding the total family income documents to the authorities
- The central government assistance for the loan is not considered
- A married applicant can apply as a single applicant or along with the spouse both ways
- Having one of your family’s women as an owner or co-owner is necessary
- Not having a pucca house anywhere in India (applicable to the candidate and family)
- The income of the married couple is considered as a unit income regardless of any other income in the family
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is the scheme of the Indian government that aims to put an end to slum areas in the state. The government authorities provide home loans to eligible candidates who then will be able to build houses for themselves. In addition, the government has successfully provided one million homes throughout the country. This scheme was started on June 25th, 2015.
Frequently Asked Questions about PMAY Scheme
Q) Can I apply offline for PMAY?
Yes, you can apply offline for PMAY. For this, you can visit the common service center under the PMAY scheme and submit the application form.
Q) How to check my name on PMAY Beneficiary List?
You can visit the official website of PMAY. From the drop-down menu select to search by name and enter your Aadhaar number. You can view your name in the list.
Q) How long PMAY application process takes?
As soon as the verification process is completed the applicant can avail of the loan amount. It takes 3-4 months.
Q) Who is not eligible for PM Awas Yojana?
The individuals who have availed of the government subsidies and have a pucca house and their annual income exceed 18 lakhs are not eligible for the PMAY scheme.
Frequently Asked QuestionsQuestion: