People with Aadhaar cards can change their details (like name change in Aadhar Card) or update them if there are any mistakes in them. According to UIDAI, a person can change his name only twice.
There are many reasons for updating the details such as keeping the Aadhaar card inactive for 3 years. The government allows people to update data on their Aadhaar cards including their names.
Name Change In Aadhar Card
The official authority UIDAI permits people to update their Aadhaar cards. The UIDAI allows making name changes twice now. People can do it both ways online and offline.
In addition, the name can not be replaced as a whole however one can make minor changes to the name such as spelling mistakes, etc.
Documents Required For Aadhaar Card Update or Correction
The documents required for the name change on the Aadhaar card or any correction are as follows:
- Account statement or passbook
- Bank statement from the applicant’s bank
- Passbook of the applicant’s bank
- Ration Card
- Voter Identification card
- Driving license of the applicant
- Government-issued photo identity card
- PSU issued Service photo ID card
- Previous 3 months’ electricity bill
- Latest water bill (not 3 months old)
- Previous three months’ telephone landline bill
- Spouse’s or partner’s passport
- Last three months’ Credit Card statement
- Insurance policy
- Photo and a letter attested by the bank
- Attested letter and photo by the registered office
- Assigned photo and letter by a good educational enterprise
- Job card of NREGS
- Arms license
- Pensioner card
- Freedom fighter card
- Kisan passbook
- CGHS card
- Registered agreement/form for sale, lease, or rent of the applicant’s residential address
- Receipt of Property Tax of the last 3 months
- Address Certificate attested by the Village Panchayat head or any authority equivalent to them for rural areas
- Assessment order of the Income Tax
- Registration certificate of vehicle
- ECHS card
- Caste and Domicile certificate along with a photo attested by the State Government
- For minors, parents’ passport is required
- Address certificate with a photo by an MP or tehsildar
- Previous 3 months’ bill of gas connection. A handicapped medical certificate or a disability Identification card from the State Government, UT Government, or any Administration
Name Change On Aadhar Card – Online Process
Registering a valid mobile number is the primary requirement for a UIDAI name update. It is important to provide your active mobile number on the Aadhaar card for the Aadhaar card name change online. Here are the simple steps to do it:
- Sign in to the Aadhaar card online Self Service Portal by entering your Aadhaar card number
- Submit the application for updating the name on the Aadhaar card
- Scan and attach/upload the required documents
- Once you submit it, you will receive an application number through which you can track the process
Name Change In Aadhar Card – Offline Process
People who can not use the internet proficiently can visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrollment center for the Aadhaar name change process.
Here are the steps on how you can make UIDAI name corrections.
- Fill out the Aadhaar form containing the correct information and not the one that is already on your Aadhaar card.
- Attach the self-attested documents along with the form and submit it.
- You have to pay the fee to make the changes or for updating data on the Aadhaar.
- You will get the updates on the card at the enrollment center.
How to Change the Father’s Name on Aadhar Card?
The easiest way to change the father’s name on the Aadhaar card is to fill out the form and send it by post. However, the government also provides two methods that are online and offline methods for UIDAI name updates. Here are the steps for the online process.
- First of all, visit the online Aadhaar Self Service portal
- Secondly, enter your Aadhaar number i.e 12-digit UID
- You will receive a one-time password or OTP
- Enter your OTP and submit it by clicking the login button
- Now on the next page enter S/O or D/O then Father’s name with your address and submit it
- Then you have to submit the photocopy of POA documents but the documents should be self-attested
- Lastly, select a BPO and click submit
The offline method to change the father’s name on the Aadhaar card is as follows:
- Book yourself an appointment at the UIDAI official website.
- Fill out the correction or update form containing the correct name of your father. Also, attach the proof of your father’s name with it and submit it.
- The officer will authenticate your documents and your information will be validated through fingerprint
- You will have your new Aadhaar card between 7 to 10 business days. You can also download the card from the official website.
Changing Name in Aadhar Card After Marriage
The Aadhaar card is mandatory for most of the services in India. Therefore, each citizen makes sure to keep one. The government provides convenient methods to change the name on the Aadhaar card after marriage. Here are the steps for the offline method:
- Visit the nearest Aadhaar card enrollment center.
- Provide your Aadhaar card and the necessary details.
- Next, fill out the form and attach the important documents along with it and submit it.
- You will have to provide your biometric for authentication.
- After scanning the officer will return your documents.
- Once the process is completed you will receive an acknowledgment slip containing the application number.
- You can track your Aadhaar card with the help of this slip.
The online method for the Aadhaar name change process is as follows:
- Log in to the online portal using your Aadhaar number
- Submit your form with the correct Aadhaar surname change
- Now, attach your self-attested documents with the form and submit
- After receiving the OTP enter it for validating your information
- The authorities do not charge for it
Change Name on Aadhar Card After Divorce
Changing your name after divorce is not mandatory in India however it is an optional thing. Furthermore, you can change the Aadhaar card surname and you need your phone number.
Since signing into the website requires an OTP which is sent to your number therefore your number should be active.
In addition, if you do not have your number then you can do this using the post method. You need to provide the following things:
- Fill out the form and write your name/surname in the correct format, your address, phone number, gender, and DOB.
- You need to attach the self-attested documents with the form and make sure you write your Aadhaar number on each of the document copies.
- Write your name below your signature or thumbprint.
Aadhaar Card Update Rejection Reasons
Since the Aadhaar card is used for various purposes the individual’s authentication is the most important one. Therefore, the responsible authorities take the update on the Aadhaar card seriously thus they make sure to follow each step. There are the following possible reasons for Aadhaar card update rejection:
- Providing the wrong POI and POA documents
- The documents are not self-attested
- Transliteration mistake
- The document photocopies are not of the original documents that one uploads on the SSUP portal
- The Mobile and Aadhaar number on the form is incorrect
- The supporting documents are not in the name of the applicant
The Aadhaar card is a 12-digit unique identity that the UIDAI provides to Indian citizens. It is their proof of identity however it is useful for validating other documents of the individual to avail of several other government schemes. As the card is a mandatory thing for the people therefore the UIDAI provides the ease to update your Aadhaar. There are online and offline processes for changing name or other data on the Aadhaar card.
Frequently Asked QuestionsQuestion: How can I change my name on my Aadhaar card without proof?
Answer: You can not change your name on your Aadhaar card without proof because it is part of the process. In addition, the authorities work on the basis of document proofs to validate the application. Therefore, you can not proceed without proof.Question: How many times can I change my name on my Aadhaar card?
Answer: According to the official notice of UIDAI, you can only change your name on your Aadhaar card twice. This is only for two times but nothing more than that.Question: How to change your Aadhaar name online?
Answer: You can change your name on your Aadhaar card online by visiting the self-service portal Aadhaar. Fill out the form and attach the self-attested documents and submit it. You will receive an acknowledgment slip through which you can track your card. This way you can update the name on your Aadhaar card.