Fastag is an electronic toll collection system that works on radio frequency. These tags are used for toll collection. These are rechargeable tags that are affixed to the windscreens of vehicles.
What is FASTag?
FASTags are based on radio frequency identification technology (RFID) and are rechargeable. It is the most efficient and advanced way of paying toll charges.
The vehicles that have enabled FASTag on them do not have to stop paying toll charges since this system electronically deducts them from their linked bank or prepaid account.
Furthermore, the system deducts the charges when the vehicle moves from the toll gate. What could be more convenient than paying toll charges without stopping by? Right?
It has now become mandatory for every vehicle. The vehicles that do not have it will be inclined to pay double tax charges on toll.
How to Buy New FASTag?
There are multiple easy ways that you can avail to purchase a new one.
1. Through Digital Payment Application
- The applicant applies through any digital payment Application for buying a Fastag. You can use Paytm FASTag, or linked banks.
- Simply upload the required documents on the FASTag portal
- Submit your payment
- The authorities will deliver it to your provided address
2. Through Banks
- Firstly, visit any bank that offers the Fastag facility and fill out the application form
- Submit this form along with necessary documents to the officials
- Make payment as requested
- Your Fastag will be delivered within a few days to your address
3. Through Toll Booth
- Visit any POS terminals at the toll booth or toll plazas
- Make sure you take all the required documents with you
- The officials will verify the documents and your application form
- After verification, one of the representatives will affix it on your vehicle’s windshield
4. At Select Shops
Paytm has linked with various shops for public convenience. This way people can easily access Fastag to purchase it.
- Turn on the Paytm app on your mobile phone
- From the homepage, you will see a search option where you will search and click enter
- Under the “My Paytm Fastag”, click on “Buy from nearby Store”
- Then, allow the app to approach your location
- Now, you can have a look at the list of various closest stores providing the purchase of Fastag
- Lastly, you just have to call the nearest store and visit it to get yours
Fee/Initial Charges of Fastag
|Description||Security Deposit (Rs.)||Threshold Amount (Rs.)|
|Bus – 3 axle||400||200|
|Car/Jeep/Van/ other mini vehicles||100||0|
|Light commercial vehicle 2-axle||300||200|
|Bus 2-axle/ Minibus /Truck 2-axle||400||500|
|Tractor / Tractor with trailer / Truck 4, 5, & 6-axle||500||500|
|Truck 7-axle and above||500||500|
|Heavy Construction Machinery||500||500|
How to Get Fastag Offline?
You can easily get a new one offline by visiting the nearest NHAI Fastag sale point.
Here are the steps to follow and get Fastag installation immediately.
- Visit the nearest sale point
- Make sure you have all the original necessary documents including your vehicle’s valid registration card (RC)
- Provide your ID proof
- Pay the requested amount that will be deposited as the minimum amount in your account.
- After this, you will instantly get your FASTag installation on your vehicle
How to Activate FASTags?
If you purchase it from a bank that has a certified link. You will get a pre-activated one from them.
- Visit the nearest issuing bank and fill out the application form
- Submit the application form along with your KYC documents and RC document
- After the submission, the bank delivers the pre-activated Fastag to your address within 7-8 working days
- You simply have to peel the tag and stick it to the windscreen of your vehicle.
- Download the MyFastag application on your mobile
- From the homepage select the “Activate NHAI Fastag” option
- Next up, select the e-commerce site from where you bought it
- Now, to activate it you scan the QR or enter the 24-digit Fastag code
How to Install Fastag?
It is a very simple and quick method to install. Here are the steps for the Fastag installation guide.
- First of all, make sure that your vehicle’s windshield is clean
- Then open your Fastag
- Place it right at the center of the windshield. Note that it is important to place it at the center of the windshield for easy reading at the toll plaza
- Then gently remove the sticker
- After finding the right center point of the windshield you can stick it
- Your FASTag is installed.
How to Recharge Fastag? Online Method
The Fastag recharge is a swift method that you can use to recharge it.
- Open the Paytm app and select the Fastag recharge option
- Select the issuing bank
- Now enter your vehicle number or CR number
- Click proceed and enter the recharge amount
Note: you can make the payment through several options such as Credit card, Debit card, Paytm Wallet, and UPI.
Checking Fastag Balance
For checking your balance you can use one of the three ways that are suitable to you.
1. Through Website:
- Visit the issuer website such as a bank or agency
- Log in to the portal with your FASTag login credentials
- You can check the balance now
2. Through Mobile Application:
- Download the “MyFastag Mobile Application” on your mobile phone
- Enter your login credentials
- You can check the balance on the application
3. Through SMS:
Once you link your mobile number to your Fastag account. The updates will be sent to your mobile number regarding the balance, recharge confirmations, deductions, and other notifications via SMS.
List of Fastag Vendors
Here is the list of Fastag vendors that provide the facility:
- AU Small Finance Bank
- Airtel Payments Bank
- Axis Bank Ltd
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Canara Bank
- Central Bank of India
- City Union Bank Ltd
- Cosmos Bank
- Dombivli Nagari Sahakari Bank
- Equitas Small Finance Bank
- Federal Bank
- FINO Payments Bank
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- IDBI Bank
- IDFC First Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- IndusInd Bank Ltd.
How to Block Fastag?
Blocking FASTag is no more a time-taking process since you can reach out to customer care. State your issue and block/deactivate your FASTag account.
Furthermore, if you are using Paytm FASTag then you can use the following method:
- Login to the Paytm app using your login details
- Head to the 24/7 help section on the app
- Select your issue type from the options
- Lastly, enter your concern regarding deactivation/blocking
There are some guidelines and rules made by NHAI to keep the discipline of the FASTag system.
- It is mandatory: Fastag is more like a necessity than a choice. It is mandatory to affix it on all kinds of vehicles. This applies to all types of mini and oversized vehicles.
- Double toll charges without Fastag: There is no way one can pass through the toll plaza without having it. If the person wishes to do so he will have to pay double the normal charges.
- Double toll charges if FASTag doesn’t work: Upon entering a FASTag toll lane, the toll charge will be double the regular amount if your tag doesn’t work for some reason. So, it would be better to ensure that you have sufficient balance in your FASTag wallet and that the RFID barcode is not damaged before entering a toll booth.
- The waiting period for paying toll charges can’t be more than 10 seconds: According to the rules from the NHAI, the waiting period for paying toll charges can not be more than 10 seconds. In addition to it, if a driver has to wait more than the stated time then he can pass through the toll without paying charges.
- Vehicle queue at toll booths must be within 100 meters: The NHAI introduced a 100-meter queue to maintain better traffic discipline and avoid accidents. This rule states that the vehicles can only make a queue at a distance of 100 meters. The vehicles that have to stand out of this limit can pass without paying the charges.
Benefits/Advantages of Fastag
Fastag provides several benefits but above all the drivers do not have to wait longer in those never-ending queues to pass through the toll plazas.
- Nobody has to stop for payment at a toll plaza.
- The vehicles do not stop which means it is fuel saving benefit
- It can be recharged at any time and anywhere
- SMS alerts and notifications
- Validity of Fastag for 5 years
- Online portal
- Cash Bank incentives for the Fastag users
Fastag is a toll collection system that electronically collects the toll payment of the vehicle. It has radio frequency technology instilled in it. This is an efficient invention for the ease of drivers as they do not have to stop at the toll plaza and make payments. Furthermore, it saves a lot of their time and fuel at the same time.
Keep visiting Indian Online Services Blog for information about more online services.
Q) What are Fastag fine charges?
If a driver violates the rule of Fastag then he is obliged to pay INR 300/- for the first penalty while for the second penalty he will pay INR 500/-.
Q) What are the toll rates without Fastag?
The fee for each vehicle type is different however if a vehicle does not have a Fastag then, the driver has to pay double the standard charges according to the type of vehicle.
Q) What is NETC FASTag?
The National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) is a device that works on radio frequencies. It collects toll charges while the vehicle is in motion.